In a knowledge economy like the 21st century, what we have is a deluge of ideas that are gotten so long as your mind is awake, there is air, if you experience life more then you will have more than enough of them. Ideas are ruling the world, they have become really marketable, they are capital assets of the mind, can be converted from just thoughts to value and real cash. However, this does not happen overnight, there are processes, phases and much more if you are to get technical and speak in economic terms.
An idea remains an idea if it cannot be communicated in a manner that anyone can grab what you want to achieve with it or the problem you solving with your product. Communication and articulation skill is key for the conveyance of thoughts and ideas as they are crystallised in your mind. There is a marked difference between one who can articulate thoughts and those who can’t. Clear and marked difference!
The easiest and cheapest way to learn self-expression is to read, read and read wide as possible. Reading is not just a way of downloading words from an author into your being; there are a lot more things that happen by having books embedded in your mind.
According to Oscar Wilde, “It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.”
- Reading can serve as a way of escape from the frustrations of the world around you. Depending on what type of pictures that are created by the book, you can experience something different from what pertains to you.
- There are people who have not had the opportunity to travel wide or leave the shores of their country; through reading they can scale mountains, pass seas and oceans to understand what really happens in the world beyond their borders.
- Through reading, you can connect to the mind and the very being of the author, you are able to know the man/woman, you can access their secrets to an extent and in some cases, you experience transference of grace.
- The many details of success in life, inventions, innovations, ideas, creativity are embedded in words. If you don’t sit down and read the details of a headline or title, you will only gain access to the words of the headline and its meaning.
- No nation can go beyond their extent and level of research and development which require a lot of studies, research, searches, data gathering, analysis and a complete understanding of whatever you read.
- There is a secret I discovered about reading a book; you don’t just limit yourself to the words contained in the book. There is need to think, look, and discover beyond what the words say. Behind every letter of a word, there is more and greater meaning of what the author is saying.
- Anyone who can discover details in many words can discover anything and it can help your observation and attention to details.
“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.”
― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron
- Reading, of course, is the easiest way to learn to write and write well. There is nothing to write if you don’t read. The icon of writing Stephen King puts it this way, if you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.
- Books, of course, help to preserve civilisation, they preserve culture, a nation that lacks writers (who are readers) and chroniclers of their history will in no time find their culture exterminate without noticing it.
“You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”
― Ray Bradbury